Sunday, May 11, 2014

Girl's Weekend Adventure in Utah--Part 1



Evelyn was an angel on her first airplane ride.  She smiled and flirted with the 8 month old boy in the seat in front of us.  She was easy and never cried.  I told her next time we would go to France. ; )

Planning on being gone for several days away from most of my family was daunting.  I was excited at the prospect of a girl's weekend but then it seemed overwhelming with all of my responsibilities.  It was at that point that I knew I had to go.  So I asked some friends to help out with the boys back home when Tony was at work for two of the days (he took off a couple of hours each day so they wouldn't stay too late).  He dropped the younger two off at 1:15 and then picked all three up at 9.  A friend picked Max up from school and took him over to where my other friend was watching the boys.  Then Tony took Friday off and drove the boys to Oregon to spend time with his Uncle Phil, cousin Seth and his kids.  They had their own sets of adventures while I was away.  

Kim picked us up at the airport and we saw her family, then went and saw Tami and her family and then met another freshman year roommate, Trenna, and went out for dinner.  We came to realize that this next August, it will be 19 years since we met as freshman year roommates.  That thought boggled our minds. :)  We had so much fun reminiscing.  I just love those ladies.  
Then Trenna drove me to Kaytie's house where I got there just minutes before the group driving from Oregon and maybe half an hour before my mother-in-law and sister-in-law who drove up from Vegas.  Tricia flew from Colorado and she got there first.  It was fun to hang out and see everyone.  

The next morning,

 we drove to Provo, parked at LaVell Edwards Stadium and walked to the Marriott Center.  We were about to see Sister Sheri Dew who is someone I greatly admire.  I think I'll do a separate post on the lessons I learned from Women's Conference because there were many. :)  I had Evelyn watched by a cousin's in-law.  After I picked her back up, I planned to eat lunch and then go to the classes at the Marriott Center because I figured that although children weren't allowed in the classes, I could just watch in the hallway with the small screens they make available in the hallway.  Well, I was politely informed that that wouldn't be allowed either, so Evelyn napped while I pushed her in the stroller.  I loved walking around campus and enjoying the sunshine, hearing the bell tower melody, listening to birds sing.  It was so refreshing to be away and alone, two things that don't happen very often.  I think the soul just needs peace sometimes and that is what I was able to feel as I walked around.  Here is the tunnel coming from the Marriott Center to the rest of campus.  On Sunday nights, when I lived on campus, we would go to "tunnel singing".  Hundreds of BYU students would gather with hymnals and sing together.  It was so fun to see friends, sing and feel the spirit.
 I love the Bell tower and the view of the "Y" on the mountain.  I loved my experience at BYU.  I feel very privileged that I was able to go there.  It's a unique opportunity and one that I can never forget.  My mom really wanted me to go and I was fairly ambivalent.  She prayerfully urged me to apply and so I did.  A mother knows best.  I met people who taught me and I learned from my classes and experiences.  This is where I was meant to be.

 I lived in Heritage Halls my freshman year in 187 Fugal hall.  It looked like Fox hall which is below.
 But now it looks like a hole in the ground where the crane is.  The buildings behind are the new Heritage halls where DT (Deseret Towers) used to be.  The new Heritage Halls are still cooking dorms but they're bigger. 
 I love lilacs and there were so many on campus.  I had to smell them. :)
 Walking up Maesar hill, I saw two deer.  It's really hard to see them in this picture but they were so beautiful and right there on campus.
 This sculpture, called, "The Tree of Wisdom" was always a favorite of mine. 
 And the Spencer W. Kimball Tower, SWKT (aka Swiket) still stands.  I had so many classes here being a Psych major with a Family Science minor. 
After my little break, I met up with Beth and then met up with everyone else for the last class.  Then we went to the service area and then to the Brick Oven.  We were starving.  

A late dinner and then relaxing at Kaytie's was the end to the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment