Sunday, May 18, 2014

BYU Women's Conference

I learned a lot at BYU Women's Conference and I'm so grateful I went.  I wanted to post about everything that I learned but I'm preparing for teaching and that is taking my scripture/gospel study time.  So I'm going to highlight the two lessons that stuck out to me the MOST.  

Sister Dew talked about the enabling power of the atonement, grace.  She also talked about being a disciple and how discipleship is not easy but it's easier than not being a disciple.  We are preparing the world for the return of Jesus Christ.  How will we make sure our loved ones are truly converted?

Sometimes, we get overwhelmed by the teaching of, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matthew 5:48.  His grace is sufficient.  What we need to do is not about working through a feverish list of good works.  It is about a change of heart, yielding to the enticings of the spirit and holding to the rod.  Doing all that we can do is becoming and behaving like true disciples of Christ, but even then, it is only through grace that we are saved.   

The other lesson came from the second class I attended which was based on the talk by Elder Dallin H. Oaks, "Timing".  --Holding Ourselves in Readiness to Act on the Lord's Timing.--  
The second speaker, Ginny Smith talked about the time between when our prayer is asked and our prayer is answered.  This is "sacred space".  As we wait for the  Lord, what if we consecrated our sacred space.  We have patterns of waiting--when we're in the chapel at the temple, as we wait for the sacrament...what do we think about?  If we consecrated our time, we could say, "Here I am.  Tell me what to do."  We would move from passively waiting for our prayer to be answered to being the answer to someone else's prayer.  Elder Maxwell (one of my favorite speakers) talked about "Graceful Endurance" (I haven't been able to find where this is referenced yet.)  Even when Christ was on the cross, He consecrated his waiting--He thought about those who needed forgiveness and He thought about His mother.  

This is just a snippet of my notes and I still need to go back and read all of the talks that the session topics were taken from.  There was so much to learn. I'm very grateful I got to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment