Monday, August 1, 2011

How We Celebrated Swiss National Day!

August 1st is Fete Nationale en Suisse. Normally, I would at least get some Swiss chocolate for the family, but I didn't get to the store today. However, I did think about my mission and what an important experience it was.
We "celebrated" by having a playdate with some new friends. And then we went to Dash Point Park to spend the afternoon in the sun.
From August 1, 2011

Ryan wasn't sure about the seaweed.
From August 1, 2011

Max loved jumping in the waves.
From August 1, 2011

I had an "aha" parenting moment. Max was out of control whiny at the beach and I didn't get why. He was so tired he wanted to just lay on me and sleep. HELLO! This boy has been going, going, going for the past 4-5 days. Sometimes as parents we forget the simple answers. I was worried that he was changing or that I wasn't meeting his needs somehow, or that I've been reacting in a way that makes him think that whining is okay. I think Occam's Razor fits this situation and I need to remember as a parent that sometimes the answer is the simplest one. Very cranky boy means he is very, very tired. Plain and simple.
Bonne Nuit!

2 comments:

  1. Fun fun!

    I know what you mean about the obvious and just finding the simple solution :)

    This morning Will was crazy upset about something so trivial, and for the first time EVER he uttered the phrase "you just don't understand!" to me. I stopped short and realized I needed to understand him to help move him past his over-reaction. Slowed the morning down a bit, but I tried to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...quite a article. Very interesting...hmmmm learn something new every day. Looks like some fun sunny days you all are having.

    ReplyDelete