Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Starting a Family

We decided to wait a year to try to have kids so that I would be mostly done with my master's degree and also so that we could have that first year to learn about each other. I got pregnant in June of 2006 and came home with a bunch of balloons (one being a balloon of a baby) so that I could surprise Tony with the news. I was 7 weeks along. I started having signs that could indicate miscarriage and was trying not to be worried but when you want something so bad, it isn't easy to "relax, and not worry about it". The next morning I woke up to severe pains and other indications of miscarriage and started going into shock. Tony was really good about helping me and being calm in the situation but I was on the floor about to pass out. He called 911 and an ambulance was there probably in 4 minutes. Tony teases me because I kind of snapped out of it for a second and said that I needed to clean before they came. So I rode to the ambulance and went to Tacoma General where yes, I had miscarried. J and Kate (Tony's parents) came to the hospital to support us. That was so hard for us. We were kind of out of it for awhile and grieving. I've always wanted to be a mom so I was not prepared to have something like that happen. We were fortunate to become pregnant again just 3 months later, but that was definitely a trial for us at the time. The positive that came from it was that Tony and I were able to see how we could rely on each other during that time and come together. We grew closer through that and I feel like our relationship deepend.

No comments:

Post a Comment