Friday, June 21, 2013

It's Not My Fault!

Lately the property management gig has gotten a bit frustrating.  I've had to start the eviction process with a tenant and that tenant called the other night and didn't accept responsibility for their lack of rent payment, they blamed me.  Hmmmm...it took me back to social work days when clients would blame me because they weren't doing anything to get their children back into their care.  It is frustrating when people can't take responsibility for their actions.  I have a hard time sleeping normally with a cute baby inside making things uncomfortable, but then I was up just thinking about this situation, again, reminding me of social work days when I would lay in bed thinking of all the things to do to help the kids and make sure I had a solid case.  I remember being especially stressed out before a termination trial.  If parents were contesting the termination then I had to study my notes and make sure I remembered everything for when I took the witness stand.  If the parents weren't contesting or weren't even showing up and losing their parental rights by default, it still bothered me because being a part of the process of severing someone's parental rights is daunting.  Even when the child is in a good, wonderful home, there's still a bit of heartache that would come to me that a child had to experience loss of any kind because of their parents' choices.  Also, there was sadness for the parent who didn't understand what a beautiful blessing they were losing.  Not that the job was always stressful, I loved it at the same time, but it could definitely keep me up at night.  So as I lay awake thinking about this current situation, I scrolled for something to read on my phone and came across this talk.  http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/04/the-savior-wants-to-forgive?lang=eng  I realized that in order for this situation to get out of my head, I had to forgive the person who is blaming me and reacting desperately to a horrible situation they are in.  I wasn't mad at this person, but at the same time, I was frustrated and not able to comprehend why they would try to blame me when it was in no way my fault.  So in ruminating about that, I was letting it affect me too much and I had to let it go.  So when I forgave them (in my mind) for taking it out on me, it really was like a weight off my shoulders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment