Thursday, July 3, 2014

Summer School

School is a loose term for what we do, but I wanted to be mindful of how the boys spent their summer.  I want there to be lots of uninhibited play but I also want there to be some skill sharpening going on as well.  So we came up with a plan.  Everyday, the boys will have reading and writing and then each day will have a subject:  Math Monday, History Tuesday, Wacky Science Wednesday, Artful Thursday and French Friday.  This first week, the boys had 5 math worksheets to work on.  On Tuesday, I read the children's book about the history of Jamestown and the boys drew pictures of what was happening as I read.  On Wednesday, we learned what makes rain with a simple science demonstration.  Today, Tony taught them about drawing faces for art while I went running.  Every night, I get to read to them from "The Indian in the Cupboard".  I loved the boys' reactions tonight when they discovered that the cupboard could turn other toys real as well.  I love books and I love that they love books as well.  I've never read "The Indian in the Cupboard" surprisingly enough, so it's fun for me to discover a new favorite.  We were reading, "The Land of Oz" until it got lost.  Then we were reading, "Little House in the Big Woods" until it got lost.  I have a feeling we just need to move the bunk bed from against the wall to find them.  Reading aloud is one of my favorite things to do with my kids.  During the day we've had all kinds of adventures, park playdates, playing outside, a comedy show in the park put on by the library.  It's been a fun week!

I should take more pictures, but here are a few:

 This was dinner on Monday night.  The boys wanted to make Fruit Sushi from a recipe they found in The Friend.


Here we are watching "the rain".
 Then Ryan wanted to do an experiment with water, poultry seasoning and food coloring.  :)

 Then Max wanted to use his microscope.
 Then Jimmy showed us some magic with Dawn dish soap.
 And Max showed us a similar experiment.  When Jason almost knocked over the plate with food coloring, the experiments ended, haha, but it was fun while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment