Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Green Thumb Questions #2

Aunt Dorothy and Aunt Patty have such great knowledge, I just have to ask them a few more questions...:)

This is the front of our house with the mini-jungle. I'm going to remove the 3 maple trees because they're so close to the house. I'm also going to cut the irises down. How much would you leave above ground? Do you know what the little hedge in front of the door step is? I just want to trim it up, is that right? There's another monster something or other that I have a closer view of later.
From September 2010

Do you know what this is? It's kind of spread out all crazy-like. I'm not sure how to trim it up. I want to cut it down pretty small. Would that be okay?
From September 2010

This is a close up. It kind of reminds me of an Azalea but it's so big and out of control.
From September 2010

This is the tree monstrosity that is right in front of the house, blocking the window, etc. It's going, but I was wondering what it was.
From September 2010

Is this hosta okay? Do they get this dead? Do I cut off the tall things that grow out of the middle?
From September 2010

This is a different kind of bush. Do you know what it is and should I just trim it and shape it. Would now be okay?

Oh, and Aunt Dorothy, I was wondering what kind of hedge trimmer Uncle Ken used for the laurel. This one is pretty thick and so we need something much stronger than the little electric one that was here.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed...cut down all maples...especially close to the house.

    You can cut and clean up irises. Leave about 6".

    By front of the doorstep it looks like some kind of boxwood that has been let go. You can shape it any which way you see fit. So
    that is right...shape it up!

    Yes, that looks like an azalea to me too. Clean it up... shape it up. Take about 1/3 of it off. You probably won't have as many blooms in spring.

    Right off the bat I can't remember what that jungle, tropical type plant is or maybe I never knew because I never had the least interest in planting one. But if it were my place...that would be the first thing gone. Maybe you'd like to see out your windows. Good call!!!

    The tall flowers that Hostas put out can be cut off after they are done flowering. (info for next summer) The plant itself will turn ugly, brown, yellow, and completely disappear in the next couple months. It will poke it's pointed little leaves back up in the spring.

    The bush to the left of the Hosta is a maple. Off with its head! Dig feet out too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Patty! I used to cut my irises down to about 3 inches and they still did great. Then I gave them all away to Erika. Even though the flower is pretty, I didn't like how the rhizone (root) took up so much space in the flower bed. (I like more room for annuals!)

    Yes, trim up your boxwood any way you want. It will recover. That's what was in front of my old house on John Adams.

    I don't know what the monster is, either, but either rip it out or thin it all out like a funky "Dr Suess" kind of plant just for fun. :)

    I agree, the other one looks like an azalea but it sure is spread out. Looks a bit bare in the center. Whatever it is, trim it to whatever shape you want and then wait a year or two and see what happens to it.

    That poor Hosta looks like it suffered from lack of water and too much sun. (What, THIS summer??) Does it get much shade in that spot? You might want to consider moving it and now would be a good time. Yes, the leaves will all die this time of year anyway. Next spring it will be lovely.

    About the laurel...there's no way an electric trimmer is gonna work on that! Or most of your shrubbery, for that matter. Get yourself a good pair of garden pruners or lopers because you'll be cutting most of your plants a stem at a time. It's kind of slow that way, but allows time to be creative and do it carefully. On the HUGE laurels, Ken had to use a handsaw!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete