Sunday, September 8, 2019

The First Day of Kindergarten

I went early to school with Ryan after helping Evelyn get ready for school.  Ryan had safety patrol and I was helping set up for the kindergarten and new families breakfast.  It was in good hands with Rose and the other ladies, but I wanted to help.  So as we're setting up the fire alarm goes off and everyone has to exit to the field.  School hadn't started, kids were just arriving.  Tony brought Jase and Ev and 24 muffins I'd made in a gigantic pan onto the field.  Since he didn't know how long it would take for kids to be able to go to their classes, he felt like he should head to work.  So Ev bravely talked to her teacher on the field.  I took Jase to his teacher and then talked with more kindergarten parents.  Evelyn made a little friend and when we were able to go into the classrooms, they held hands.  I helped her find her desk again and took some pictures.  Then it was time to say good-bye.  No problem.  It wasn't until I was walking down the hall, away from the classroom that the emotions hit.  Tears welled up but they didn't come out.  A friend who works there saw me and gave me a big hug.  then it was time to head to the cafeteria again and meet new families.  It was fun, Rachael and I talked briefly about PTA and encouraged people to join.  There are a lot of great families joining this year.  With the chaos of the morning, I never took pics.  We were all too busy meeting new people, but it turned out great.





Halfway through the day, I wanted Evelyn to come home so I could find out how her day was going.  When I picked her up she was excited to tell me that she made new friends and learned how to do push ups in gym (really she already had learned to do them, but she showed me out there in front of the skill and sure enough, her form had improved, lol).  Her teacher told me she had cried and didn't want to go to gym class.  Mr. Collins, the gym teacher is a tall guy with a booming voice and Ev has seem him during the day when she helped me last year.  She's seem him with his microphone on leading a class and apparently she was more afraid than I knew.  So I told her and the boys when they came out that I needed to talk to Mr. Collins so we went in there and all talked.  Evelyn seemed just fine after that. :)  My little superhero princess will have an amazing year.


No comments:

Post a Comment